Personal life & small business life coaching with a twist
Hello…I’m Tamsin Butters and I came up with the name nudgeme to help lessen people’s confusion over exactly what personal life & small business life coaching is. For many people, I’ve found that the very terms “personal life coaching” or “small business life coaching” conjure up either the image of someone chasing round a tennis court shouting instructions, or providing therapy or counselling to deal with a specific problem or situation. Almost as if it only applies to individuals who are suffering from a condition, which needs ‘fixing’ in some way!
Ever played Pooh Sticks…?
Then I saw a video clip of one of the leading people in the professional life coaching field, Michael Neill, when he introduced the analogy of playing Pooh Sticks, where two sticks are dropped over a bridge into a river to see which one comes out first. He made the simple comment that if one of the sticks gets held up, it didn’t require therapy, just a helpful nudge to set it on its way, and that’s what I can do for you. At that moment in my mind the idea of nudgeme was born – a life coach business with a twist in that I nudge rather than coach people!
A little about me – 10 quick snapshots …
- Developed the services offered by nudgeme after over 20 years’ experience of facilitating groups, individuals, businesses and organisations across the whole spectrum of policy development, market research, project development and all aspects of marketing communications
- Partner in new style policy consultancy turning over 6 figures facilitating qualitative research with 100s of people to influence new thinking on enterprise, training, education, employment & HR policies, resulting in solutions based ideas, and implementation of new approaches to tackle old problems. Worked with public, private & voluntary sector organisations, as well as smaller companies specialising in start up & business growth.
- Wrote regular column in national UK newspaper.
- Frustrated with the limitations of consultancy, set up agency specialising in marketing communications in same field, regularly employing lovely team of freelancers, to work on both on and off line communications strategies, including website development back in the days when people called the web ‘The Information Superhighway’ (and yes, a lot has changed since then, and yet too many websites are still being designed on the old principles of putting a static brochure on line!?)
- One of the best times in my career was when I was working 16hr days, earning £100 per week doing national and international PR for Sport Aid, the Run the World project to raise funds for famine relief in Africa on behalf of Bob Geldof’s Band Aid & UNICEF.
- Throughout my work, I’ve researched many different approaches to personal development and communications, and have always been fascinated in continually learning and understanding what makes people tick. So, I became a full time life, business and marketing coach, after qualifying as a Certified Business Practioner of NLP through Robert Dilts’ NLP University. NLP (Neuro Linguistic Programming) offers an overall and systematic approach to the various skills I’d already accumulated. It also provides the recognised skills for personal life coaching and small business life coaching as the techniques are based on the interplay between how we think or feel, how we communicate and the connection between the two.
- Currently loving participating in Robbins-Madanes Coach Training in Strategic Intervention. Created by world renowned leader Anthony Robbins in partnership with Cloe Madanes, world class expert in the field of interpersonal dynamics, Strategic Intervention draws on a variety of disciplines (including Ericksonian therapy, Human Needs Psychology, organisational psychology, neurolinguistics and psychology of influence) geared to helping people take action in a strategic way to get things done so that their human needs are fulfilled and elevated. This means they end up taking more action, side-stepping interpersonal restrictions, resolving internal conflicts, unblocking initiative and enjoying breakthrough performance. And the great thing about the thinking behind Strategic Intervention is that it’s not about raking up the past or endlessly going over previous problems or difficult times: it’s about sharing simple, yet powerful strategies, that can shift things on in a matter of hours.
- London based, but, up until recently, spent part of each of the last 10 years living in Cape Town having achieved my dream of having my own place in the sun. Now sold last year to explore pasteurs new, but will always return to my ‘second’ home, courtesy of having a location independent business, which gives me the freedom to travel! So, I’m especially interested in helping others achieve a lifestyle that gives them freedom and independence, whilst working in a job, career or business they love.
- Love providing a sounding board to gently nudge people to transform their thoughts so that they quickly get past the ‘I haven’t got the time or money or confidence’ debate, and overcome unhelpful thinking, patterns and beliefs that have tended to run them in their personal, work or business life.
- I work on the basis of two key NLP coaching principles: one, we focus far more on the future than the past, and two, you already have all the personal resources you need to live more of the life you want! A big part of my work is also about helping people to not only transform their thinking so they ‘do’ more easily, but to gain a greater understanding and more peace, contentment and ease about being themselves, what they can offer and the difference they can make.
- Two final snippets – I’ve got a twin sister and my name Tamsin is short for Thomasina, but sssh…keep it to yourself!